Ryman Auditorium (formerly Grand Ole Opry House and Union Gospel Tabernacle) is a 2,362-seat live performance venue, located at 116 5th Avenue North, in Nashville, Tennessee and is best known as the home of the Grand Ole Opry from 1943 to 1974. It is owned and operated by Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc.
Ryman Auditorium was included in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and was further designated a National Historic Landmark on June 25, 2001.
by Jim Casey | @TheJimCasey | March 7, 2017
Exclusive Premiere: Go “Backstage at the Ryman” With Vince Gill in New Video
In the new episode of Backstage at the Ryman, which is premiering today (March 7) on Nash Country Daily, country music icon Vince Gill is profiled during one of his recent Christmas at the Ryman shows with wife Amy Grant. During the backstage interview, Vince talks about the first time he performed on the Ryman’s hallowed stage, the venue’s magical acoustics and what the Mother Church of Country Music means to Nashville.
“Anytime I get the chance to sing in the Ryman Auditorium, I take it ’cause it’s absolutely hands down my favorite place I’ve ever gotten to play and sing music,” says Vince. “The first time I sang in here was a TV show probably close to 30 years ago with Garrison Keillor,
and I just sang with an acoustic guitar— by yourself, just a guitar, in this room was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It’s only happened once or twice other than that in my lifetime and it was pretty magical.”
Background information From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Union Gospel Tabernacle
The auditorium opened as the Union Gospel Tabernacle in 1892. Its construction was spearheaded by Thomas Ryman (1843–1904), a Nashville businessman who owned several saloons and a fleet of riverboats. Ryman conceived of the auditorium as a tabernacle for the influential revivalist Samuel Porter Jones (see picture further down). Ryman had attended one of Jones' 1885 tent revivals with the intent to heckle, but was instead converted into a devout Christian, and soon after pledged to build the tabernacle so the people of Nashville could attend a large-scale revival indoors. It took seven years to complete and cost US$100,000 (equivalent to $2,665,556 in 2016). However, Jones held his first revival at the site on May 25, 1890, with only the building's foundation and six-foot walls standing.
Architect Hugh Cathcart Thompson designed the structure. Exceeding its construction budget, the tabernacle opened US$20,000 (equivalent to $533,111 in 2016) in debt. Jones sought to name the tabernacle in Ryman's honor, but Ryman denied the request several times. When Ryman died in 1904, his memorial service was held at the tabernacle. During the service, Jones proposed the building be renamed Ryman Auditorium, which was met with the overwhelming approval of the attendees. Jones died less than two years later, in 1906.
The building was originally designed to contain a balcony, but a lack of funds delayed its completion. The balcony was eventually built and opened in time for the 1897 gathering of the United Confederate Veterans, with funds provided by members of the group. As such, the balcony was named the Confederate Gallery. Upon the completion of the balcony, the Ryman's capacity rose to 6,000. A stage was added in 1901 that reduced the capacity to just over 3,000.
(Picture: Captain Thomas Green Ryman)
Under the leadership of Lula C. Naff
Though the building was designed to be a house of worship, a purpose it continued to serve throughout most of its early existence, it was often leased to promoters for non-religious events in an effort to pay off its debts and remain open. In 1904, Lula C. Naff, a widow and mother who was working as a stenographer for the DeLong Rice Lyceum Bureau, began to book and promote speaking engagements, concerts, boxing matches, and other attractions at the Ryman. In 1914, her employer went out of business, and Naff was free to spend more of her time booking events. She eventually transitioned into a role as the Ryman's full-time manager by 1920. She preferred to go by the name "L.C. Naff" in an attempt to avoid initial prejudices as a female executive in a male-dominated industry. Naff gained a reputation for battling local censorship groups, who had threatened to ban various performances deemed too risqué. In 1939, Naff won a landmark lawsuit against the Nashville Board of Censors, which was planning to arrest the star of the play Tobacco Road due to its provocative nature. The court declared the law creating the censors invalid.
Naff's ability to book stage shows and world-renowned entertainers in the city's largest indoor gathering place kept the Ryman at the forefront of Nashville's conscience and enhanced the city's reputation as a cultural center for the performing arts even as the building began to age. W.C. Fields, Will Rogers, Charlie Chaplin, Bob Hope, Harry Houdini, and John Philip Sousa (among others) performed at the venue over the years, earning the Ryman the nickname, "The Carnegie Hall of the South". The Ryman hosted lectures by U.S. Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft in 1907 and 1911, respectively. World famous opera singer Enrico Caruso appeared in concert there in 1919. It also saw the inaugurations of three governors of the state of Tennessee. The first event to sell out the Ryman was a lecture by Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan Macy in 1913. While being a trailblazer for working women, Naff also championed the cause of diversity. The building was used as a regular venue for the Fisk Jubilee Singers from nearby Fisk University, a historically black college. Jim Crow laws often forced Ryman audiences to be segregated, while some shows were designated for "White Audiences Only" and others for "Colored Audiences Only", however, photographs show that Ryman audiences of the time were often integrated. Naff retired in 1955 and died in 1960.
Grand Ole Opry
Since debuting in 1925, a local country music radio program known as the Grand Ole Opry had become a Nashville institution. Though not originally a stage show, the Opry began to attract listeners from around the area who would come to the WSM studio to see it live. When crowds got too large for the studio, WSM moved the show to various auditoriums around the city that could accommodate the following. However, the Opry was asked to leave both the War Memorial Auditorium and the Dixie Tabernacle due to its sometimes uncivilized crowds, which often resulted in upholstery damage. With its wooden pews and central location, Naff and the other Ryman leaders thought the auditorium would be a perfect venue for such an audience, and began renting the venue to WSM for its shows. The Grand Ole Opry was first broadcast from the Ryman on June 5, 1943, and originated there every week for nearly 31 years thereafter. Every show sold out, and hundreds were often turned away.
(Picture: Referent Samuel Porter Jones)
During its tenure at Ryman Auditorium, the Opry hosted the biggest country music stars of the day, and the show became known around the world. The entire show was broadcast on clear-channel station WSM, where it could be heard in 30 states across the eastern part of the nation. Portions of the show were also broadcast on network radio and television to a wider audience. Melding its then-current usage with the building's origins as a house of worship, the Ryman earned the nickname "The Mother Church of Country Music", which it still holds to this day.
The Ryman lacked a true backstage area. There was only one dressing room for the men, while women were relegated to an inadequate ladies' restroom. The shortage of space forced performers to wait in the wings, the narrow hallways, and the alley behind the building's south wall. Thus, many performers often ventured across the alley to Tootsie's Orchid Lounge (picture) and other bars, where they would drink alongside and sometimes perform for patrons. This practice enhanced the notoriety of the honky-tonk bars along Nashville's Lower Broadway.
Prior to September 27, 1963, Ryman Auditorium had no singular owner, instead being an independent entity governed by a board of directors. That changed when the venue was purchased by WSM, Inc. (a division of National Life and Accident Insurance Company and the owner of the Opry) for US$207,500 (equivalent to $1,623,236 in 2016). As part of the sale, the building was officially renamed the Grand Ole Opry House, though the Ryman name proved difficult to shed.
In 1966, the company made minor upgrades to the Opry House, but soon thereafter began making plans to move the Opry to a new location altogether. Despite the building's deteriorating condition, the lack of air conditioning, and the abundance of unsavory surroundings in its urban neighborhood, the show's increasing popularity would often lead to crowds too large for the venue. The plans, announced in 1969, centered around a larger, custom-built auditorium that would provide a more controlled and comfortable atmosphere for audiences and performers alike, as well as better radio and television production facilities.
(Picture: Alley between Ryman Auditorium and the rear of Broadway "Honky Tonks", including Tootsie's Orchid Lounge.)
The company purchased a large tract of land in a then-rural area a few miles away, where the new Opry theater would serve as the anchor of a grand entertainment complex. The development became known as Opryland USA, and came to include the Opryland theme park and, eventually, the Opryland Hotel. The amusement park opened on May 27, 1972, and the new venue (also called the Grand Ole Opry House) debuted on Saturday, March 16, 1974. The final Opry show at the Ryman occurred the night before, on Friday, March 15. The final shows downtown were emotional. Sarah Cannon, performing as Minnie Pearl, broke character and cried on stage. In an effort to maintain continuity with the Opry's storied past, a large circle was cut from the floor of the Ryman stage (picture) and inlaid into the center of the new Opry stage. The new venue also features pew seating, although (unlike the Ryman) they are cushioned.
When the plans for Opryland USA were announced, WSM president Irving Waugh also revealed the company's intent to demolish the Ryman and use its materials to construct a chapel at the amusement park called "The Little Church of Opryland". Waugh brought in a consultant to evaluate the building: noted theatrical producer Jo Mielziner, who had staged a production at the Ryman in 1935. He concluded that the Ryman was "full of bad workmanship and contains nothing of value as a theater worth restoring." Mielziner suggested the auditorium be razed and replaced with a modern theater. Waugh's plans were met with resounding resistance from the public, including many influential musicians of the time. Pulitzer Prize winner Ada Louise Huxtable ridiculed the decision in The New York Times, writing: "First prize for the pious misuse of a landmark, and a total misunderstanding of the principles of preservation. Gentlemen, for shame."
(Picture: Tennessee Historical Commission marker outside Ryman Auditorium, signifying the site as the birthplace of Bluegrass music. - The plaque reads: In December 1945, Grand Ole Opry star Bill Monroe and his mandolin brought
to the Ryman Auditorium stage a band that created a new American musical form. With the banjo style of Earl Scruggs and the guitar of Lester Flatt, the new musical genre became
known as “Bluegrass.” Augmented further by the fiddle of Chubby Wise and the bass of Howard Watts (also known as Cedric Rainwater), this ensemble became known as “The Original
Bluegrass Band” which became a prototype for groups that followed.)
However, Roy Acuff, an Opry stalwart and a major stakeholder of Opryland USA, was purported to say, "I never want another note of music played in that building," and led the unsuccessful charge to tear down the Ryman. Acuff, a staunch supporter of moving the Opry to a modern home, told The Washington Post in 1974, "Most of my memories of the Ryman auditorium are of misery, sweating out here on this stage, the audience suffering too... We've been shackled all of my career." Acuff notably hated the dressing room situation at the Ryman so much that he bought a nearby building just to have a bigger one. Ironically, a life-size statue of Acuff (alongside one of Sarah Cannon as Minnie Pearl) now sits in Ryman Auditorium's lobby.
Members of historic preservation groups argued that National Life & Accident (and Acuff, by proxy) was exaggerating the Ryman's poor condition, saying the company was worried that attachment to the old building would hurt business at the new Opry House. Preservationists leaned on the building's religious history, and gained traction for their case as a result. The outcry led to the building being added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. In 1974, United States Senators Howard Baker and Bill Brock (both representing Tennessee), along with the assistance of the United States Department of the Interior, pleaded with National Life & Accident to preserve the building. The company tabled the decision on the Ryman's fate, and the building was ultimately saved from demolition, however no active efforts were being made to improve its condition.
Eventually and without fanfare, the Ryman Auditorium name returned to the building to differentiate it from the new Grand Ole Opry House. Following the departure of the Opry, the Ryman sat mostly vacant and deteriorating for nearly twenty years as the neighborhood surrounding it continued to see increasing effects of urban decay. However, the building continued to stand with an uncertain future. Despite its regressing condition and the absence of performances, Ryman Auditorium was never shuttered, and still held such significance as an attraction that it would remain open for tours.
On August 30, 1979, following a tip from a citizen, the Nashville bomb squad discovered and disarmed a massive bomb that threatened to damage or destroy a three-block area of downtown Nashville, which was likely to have included the Ryman. A nearby strip club had been the target. The device was disarmed less than twenty minutes before it was timed to detonate.
In September 1983, soon after National Life & Accident's parent company (NLT Corporation) was acquired in a hostile takeover bid by American General Insurance, the building was included in the sale of all of the WSM & Opryland properties to Oklahoma-based Gaylord Broadcasting Company (which later moved its headquarters to Nashville and was renamed Gaylord Entertainment Company) for US$250,000,000 (equivalent to $601,152,690 in 2016). The company's chief executive, Ed Gaylord, had become acquainted with many of the Opry stars during his involvement with the long-running television series Hee Haw. His fondness of the Opry and friendships with its personalities - particularly Sarah Cannon - are often cited as reasons for his interest in the acquisition. Ryman Auditorium's inclusion in the sale was mostly considered an afterthought, although Mr. Gaylord's appreciation of its history helped to save it again from demolition.
In 1986, as part of the Grand Ole Opry sixtieth anniversary celebration, CBS aired a special program which featured some of the Opry's legendary stars performing at the Ryman.
While the auditorium was dormant, major motion pictures continued to be filmed on location there, including John Carpenter’s Elvis (1979), the Loretta Lynn Oscar-winning biopic, Coal Miner's Daughter (1980), Sweet Dreams (1985) (the story of Patsy Cline), and Clint Eastwood’s Honkytonk Man (1982). A 1978 television special, Carol and Dolly in Nashville, included a segment featuring Dolly Parton performing a gospel medley on the Ryman stage.
Revival and renovations
In 1989, Gaylord Entertainment began work to beautify the Ryman's exterior. The structure of the building was also improved, as the company installed a new roof, replaced broken windows, and repaired broken bricks and wood. The building's interior, however, was left mostly untouched.
In 1991 and 1992, Emmylou Harris and the Nash Ramblers (watch the video further down) performed a series of acoustic concerts at the dilapidated building, in which no one was allowed to sit on or beneath the balcony due to safety concerns. Capacity was limited to around 200. Some of the recordings were released as an album entitled "At the Ryman". The concerts' and album's high acclaim are given near-universal credit for the renewed interest in reviving Ryman Auditorium as an active venue.
The Ryman hosted a concert and one-act play entitled The Ryman: The Tabernacle Becomes A Shrine on May 18, 1992 to celebrate the building's centennial.
In October 1992, executives of Gaylord Entertainment announced plans to renovate the entire building and expand upon it to create modern amenities for performers and audiences alike, as part of a larger initiative to invest into the city's efforts to revitalize the downtown area. In September 1993, renovations began to restore it into a world-class concert hall. In the renovations, the auditorium's wooden pews were restored. They are original to the building and continue to serve as the auditorium's seating. Both far-reaching ends of the U-shaped balcony (which had previously extended all the way to the building's south wall) were removed, and new backstage facilities were built inside the original building, while a new structure containing a lobby, restrooms, concessions, offices, and a grand staircase leading to the balcony was constructed and attached to the east side of the auditorium. This also resulted in the Ryman's main entrance being moved from the west side of the building (Fifth Avenue North) to the east side (Fourth Avenue North), where an outdoor entry plaza, complete with a large statue of Thomas Ryman, also greeted visitors. Notably, the renovations resulted in Ryman Auditorium becoming air-conditioned for the first time.
The first performance at the newly renovated Ryman was a broadcast of Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion on June 4, 1994. Keillor said he was inspired to create A Prairie Home Companion while reporting on the final Opry show at the Ryman in 1974 for The New Yorker.
The return of the Opry
On Sunday, October 18, 1998, the Opry held a benefit show at Ryman Auditorium, marking its return to the venue for the first time since its final show on March 15, 1974. The show was well received by fans, performers, and management alike, and so the decision was made to host the Opry's regular shows there on January 15 & 16, 1999 as part of the celebration to commemorate 25 years at the new venue.
Beginning in November 1999, the Opry was held at Ryman Auditorium for three months, mostly due to the success of the January shows, but partly due to the ongoing construction of the Opry Mills shopping mall (which replaced the Opryland USA theme park in 2000) next door to the Grand Ole Opry House. The Opry has returned to the Ryman for November, December, and January shows every year since, allowing the production to acknowledge its roots while also taking advantage of a smaller venue during an off-peak season for tourism and freeing the Grand Ole Opry House for special holiday presentations. While still officially the Grand Ole Opry, the shows there are billed Opry At The Ryman. The Ryman also served as the primary venue for the Opry in the summer of 2010 while the Grand Ole Opry House was undergoing repairs after damage from a devastating flood.
(Image: The Grand Ole Opry House and Opry Mills shopping mall sit in flood waters.)
The Ryman today
In January 2012, it was announced that the Ryman's current stage would be replaced after a 61-year run. The stage had been the second for the Ryman, was installed in 1951, and had lasted far longer than Ryman officials had expected it would. The stage was replaced with a medium-brown Brazilian teak. It retained an 18-inch lip of the blonde oak at the front of the stage, similar to the way the Ryman stage was commemorated in a circle of wood at the new Opry House. Beneath the stage, the original hickory support beams were kept and reinforced with concrete foundations, crossbeams and joist work that helped triple the stage's load capacity and ensure that the venue would remain viable as a concert venue in the upcoming years.
(Image: The interior of Ryman Auditorium before a show, as seen from the balcony behind section 15)
Gaylord Entertainment Company, the venue's owner since 1983, adopted the Ryman's name as its own when it transitioned into a real estate investment trust in 2012. The company is now known as Ryman Hospitality Properties, Inc., and Ryman Auditorium is contained within its Opry Entertainment Group division.
In 2015, the Ryman underwent another US$14,000,000 (equivalent to $14,145,444 in 2016) renovation and expansion, in which much of the 1994 expansion was gutted and renovated to better accommodate crowds. The original building was left untouched and remained in use throughout. The renovation and expansion includes more lobby space, plus expanded restrooms, concessions, and gift shop, as well as a new quickservice restaurant called "Cafe Lula", named in memory of Lula C. Naff. Also added in the 2015 renovations is a 100-seat theater which houses a short holographic film that serves as the first exhibit on the building's daily self-guided tours. The film is entitled The Soul Of Nashville, and features an actress portraying Naff presenting the history of the Ryman. It contains an original song performed by Darius Rucker, Sheryl Crow, Vince Gill and the Fisk Jubilee Singers. Opry Entertainment Group stages weekly shows at the Ryman year-round. In addition to the Opry at the Ryman shows in the winter, the auditorium plays host to Opry Country Classics each spring and autumn, and Bluegrass Nights at the Ryman each summer. All are broadcast on WSM.
The Ryman has also served as a gathering place for the memorial services of many prominent country music figures. Tammy Wynette, Chet Atkins, Skeeter Davis, Harlan Howard, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Billy Block, George Hamilton IV and Jim Ed Brown have all been memorialized from the Ryman stage.
The renovation of the Ryman, combined with the construction of other attractions such as Bridgestone Arena and Wildhorse Saloon, helped to revitalize Nashville's downtown district into a destination for tourists and locals alike in the mid-1990s. Since then, the Ryman has become one of the most venerable performance venues in Nashville. Experts have praised Ryman Auditorium's acoustics, calling them among the best in the world.
In 2017, as part of the Ryman's 125th anniversary celebration, Little Big Town will become its first artist-in-residence, performing six shows there over the course of the year.
The venue hosts alternative rock, bluegrass, blues, country, classical, folk, gospel, jazz, pop, and rock concerts, as well as musical theater and stand-up comedy.
●The Country Music Association Awards shows were performed and broadcast live from the Ryman from 1968 through 1973.
●Most episodes of the ABC variety series The Johnny Cash Show were recorded at the auditorium and broadcast between June 7, 1969, and March 31, 1971. Besides its host, the series also featured Carl Perkins, Tennessee Three, Statler Brothers, and the Carter Family, and one episode featured one of the final public appearances of jazz icon Louis Armstrong.
●In 1999 Bill Gaither recorded The Cathedrals' Farewell Celebration video and album there, with various other artists, such as The Statler Brothers, The Oak Ridge Boys, Guy Penrod, and Sandi Patti.
●On January 30, 2003, Patty Griffin recorded her live album, A Kiss in Time, at the Ryman.
●In 2005 Neil Young recorded the Jonathan Demme-directed concert film Neil Young: Heart of Gold at the Ryman.
●In April 2006 Josh Turner recorded a live album at the Ryman.
●In May 2006 English band Erasure recorded their live album (on both CD and DVD), titled On The Road To Nashville.
●In 2009 Jonny Lang recorded Live at the Ryman. It debuted at number 2 on the Billboard Blues chart.
●On July 7, 2012, Ringo Starr recorded his 72nd birthday concert with his All-Starr Band, called "Ringo at the Ryman".
●Coldplay released a limited edition autographed poster from a performance at the Ryman.
●The Ryman was home to the Grand Ole Opry during times when many traditional country artists made their Opry debuts, including Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams (who received six encores), Patsy Cline, and many others.
●In 2014, Foo Fighters performed at the Ryman as part of the Foo Fighters: Sonic Highways television series.
●September 8, 2016, Garth Brooks performed at the Ryman for the first time ever in his professional career of 30 years while promoting a live concert recording to debut his new channel on SiriusXM radio, The Garth Channel.
Veröffentlicht am 19.09.2016
Veröffentlicht am 15.08.2015
20170221 | 20170829